Sax Ecosse is committed to the promotion of original music for saxophone quartet and we have become known for our innovative and engaging programmes.
Immense thanks to Sax Ecosse for an outstanding concert – a thoughtfully planned programme, charmingly and entertainingly introduced, and brilliantly executed. The concert drew one of our largest audiences, with lots of new faces, and made a compelling case for the saxophone taking its place in chamber music just as much as in the jazz club.
John Fox, President, Music In Peebles, April 2014
Commissions and dedications for Sax Ecosse include Bailes Macanicos by Diana Salazar and Hidden Dialects by Eddie McGuire.
The core of our repertoire is music written specifically for four saxophones. Some of our favorites are:
- Recitation Book by David Maslanka
- Quartet No. 3 ‘Body Language’ by Barbara Thompson (live BBC recording shown below)
- Saxophone Quartet by Philip Glass
- Tuning In by Jonathan Dove
- Saxophone Quartet in Bb major by Alexander Glazunov
We also play a wide variety of other music, arranged for the versatile sound of our quartet:
- Fantasy and Fugue in C minor by J.S. Bach
- The Holberg Suite by Edvard Grieg
- Six Bagatelles by George Ligeti
A varied programme of both arranged and original saxophone quartet music, producing a stunning sound and balance that filled the venue beautifully and was performed to a very high standard throughout. A great performance.
Wigtownshire Free Press, Stranrraer Music for all, March 2016
(You can listen to the full BBC interview with us here!)